In this guide, you can read and learn about what synonyms in search are and how to utilize them.
When visitors to your webshop are using the Hello Retail search functionality, the search word will be matched to its' corresponding titles and descriptions. It also includes any other relevant text that you have included in the product data in the Hello Retail database.
In the cases with searches that do not match your product as either:
- Alternative wordings
Synonyms can in these cases be implemented as a way to still help the visitor be navigated to the correct search results.
In general, Hello Retail search functionality can handle misspellings and still be able to present relevant search results.
However, if you are selling sneakers and hoodies on your webshop and a visitor inputs sneaks and hoddy in the search bar then the search engine might not be able to provide relevant results.
Synonyms will help the search functionality by understanding that if you want to search for hoddy to have it direct the searches for hoodies.
How to Create Synonyms
- Start by logging into your Hello Retail account. On the dashboard view, navigate to the left-hand side menu. Under the On-site section, click on Search to unfold the drop-down menu.
- Next, from the drop-down menu, click on Synonyms.
- In this view, you can the list of your existing synonyms. If it's empty, then to add synonyms, click on Edit.
- Input the word or term in the Searching for column box and then insert the word that you want to match the word with in the Matches products with column box.
Example: you would input hoddy in the field Searching for and hoodie in the field Matches products with.
- Click on Save when you are done with adding the synonyms.
General Notes About Synonyms
- Sometimes visitors are also using English search words on a non-English site, or vice versa.
- The added synonym must be an exact match to the product data that you have. This means that hoodie has to appear in the product data in order for the synonym to work.
- Compound words work for synonyms as well.
- After adding a new synonym, the system needs to go through the product database and index products with the added word. It will therefore take some time before the synonym will go into effect.